Game Changers: Strategies for the Business of Sports and Gaming Webinar Series
March 10, 2021
| Behind the Scenes of Betting and Professional Sports
April 21, 2021 | Webinar | The Challenges and Opportunities in eSports
May 5, 2021 | Webinar | The Changing Landscape Between Sports, Media and Gambling
Session 1: Behind the Scenes of Betting and Professional Sports
In this Duane Morris and SeventySix Capital webinar series, experienced gaming industry attorneys and investors explore the emerging opportunities in gaming and sports in a vastly different and increasingly virtual world. Our first session examines the complex and intertwined relationship between the sports betting industry and professional sports. This program will include a discussion of:
- The interplay between the internal rules of professional sports leagues and state laws and regulations;
- Business considerations for sports teams and leagues when entering the betting space; and
- Effects of emerging laws and regulations on partnership opportunities for professional sports teams seeking sports betting partnerships.
- Evan Davis, Managing Director, Betting, SeventySix Capital
- Adam Berger, Partner, Duane Morris LLP
- Betsy Brubaker McGill, Senior Vice President and Deputy General Counsel, Comcast Spectacor
Session 2: The Challenges and Opportunities in eSports
In this Duane Morris and SeventySix Capital Sports Advisory webinar series, experienced gaming industry attorneys and investors explore the emerging opportunities in gaming and sports in a vastly different and increasingly virtual world. Our second session takes a close look at the challenges and opportunities in the fast growing and lucrative world of eSports, professional and highly competitive video gaming.
- What are eSports?
- Who are professional video gamers and what games do they play professionally?
- What are the legal issues of eSports?
- How are eSports regulated and what potential changes are looming?
- How are eSports leagues structured and what is the business model?
- Bill Gantz, Partner, Duane Morris LLP
- Dan Bravato, President, SeventySix Capital Sports Advisory
- Seth Schorr, Chairman, Downtown Grand Hotel & Casino; CEO, Fifth Street Gaming
- Steven J. Brody, Associate, Duane Morris LLP
Session 3: The Changing Landscape Between Sports, Media and Gambling
About the Program
This discussion of the rapidly changing landscape involving sports, media and gambling will focus on the landmark deals that have changed key aspects of the industry, including:
- Sports wagering branding and partnership deals
- Partnerships that open the way for media companies to become sports wagering and gaming operators
- The increasing need for – and value of – real-time, play-by-play sports data streams
Carl Sottosanti spent 18 years at Penn National Gaming and was general counsel/secretary when the Barstool deal happened. Sottosanti will offer his unique insights on the Barstool transaction as well as what we might see as the sports and gaming industry continues to converge with the media and tech world.
- Moderator: Frank A. DiGiacomo, Partner, Duane Morris LLP
- Rick Alessandri, Managing Director, Media & Sports Tech, TurnkeyZRG
- Carl Sottosanti, former General Counsel, Penn National Gaming
About Duane Morris LLP
Duane Morris gaming attorneys have decades of experience representing the diverse and growing range of participants in the gaming industry. We have significant experience advising clients including owners and operators of casinos and pari-mutuel wagering facilities, online/mobile operators, manufacturers of gaming equipment and software, eSports entities, key employees, banks and nontraditional lenders, as well as vendors that provide goods and services to casinos. With the advent of internet and mobile gaming and the proliferation of sports wagering after the U.S. Supreme Court’s decision overturning the Professional and Amateur Sports Protection Act in May 2018, we also represent technology providers for internet and mobile gaming, sports wagering operators and multimedia companies seeking to coordinate, work with and form partnerships with these new industry participants.
About SeventySix Capital Sports Advisory
SeventySix Capital Sports Advisory is a consulting group focused on what’s next in the world of sports and entertainment. Our unique approach combines an intimate knowledge of the investment space with an experienced leadership team to guide our boots-on-the-ground efforts to help clients as they navigate the emerging areas of Esports, Sports Betting, Digital and Media, and Social Responsibility.