Heidi E. Lunasin practices in the area of intellectual property law, representing clients in all areas of patent and trademark law. Ms. Lunasin crafts patent strategies in technology fields ranging from biotech and engineering to composition, electrical, mechanical and design. In addition, she counsels clients in the development, maintenance and protection of intellectual property in the United States, as well as throughout the world.
Ms. Lunasin assists clients in establishing competitive patent review and enforcement programs. She has assisted in developing appropriate strategies to defend patents asserted in litigation before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB). Further, Ms. Lunasin has experience working on clearance of products, due diligence reviews, performing comprehensive and in-depth patent searches, preparing non-infringement and invalidity opinions, and drafting and evaluating intellectual property contracts.
Prior to working for Duane Morris, Heidi served as Senior Patent Counsel for adidas AG and IP Counsel at Treofan in Germany and gained valuable insight into the concerns of in-house patent counsel, especially those operating on a world-wide scale. Throughout Ms. Lunasin’s life, she has been fortunate to work in several industries gaining an understanding of the issues affecting them. Before studying law, she worked for the US Army Corps of Engineers, Cyro Industries, Dell Computer, and the Third Military Academy of Korea.
Ms. Lunasin is registered to practice before the United States Patent and Trademark Office and admitted to practice in New York, New Jersey, and the District of Columbia. She is a 2008 graduate of Seton Hall University School of Law. She earned an M.S. in Public Health from the University of North Carolina and a B.S. in Chemical Engineering from Rutgers University.
Areas of Practice
- New York
- New Jersey
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- Supreme Court of the United States
- Baylor Law School, LL.M., Litigation Management, 2022
- Seton Hall University School of Law, J.D., 2008
- University of North Carolina, M.S., Public Health, 1999
- Rutgers University, B.S., Chemical Engineering, 1994
Selected Speaking Engagements
- Speaker, "Patent Agreements," New York Intellectual Property Law IP Transactions Bootcamp, October 6, 2022
- Clinician, "Clinic II: Patent Amendment Writing, PLI Patent Fundamentals Bootcamp 2022: An Introduction to Patent Drafting, Prosecution, and Litigation," September 14, 2022
- Clinician, "Patent Amendment Writing," Practising Law Institute's Patent Fundamentals Bootcamp 2021, June 2-4, 2021
- Presenter, "Tensions Between Nonobviousness and Written Description in U.S. Patent Law," Duane Morris LLP, Webinar, October 27, 2020
- Clinician, "Patent Fundamentals Bootcamp 2020: An Introduction to Patent Drafting, Prosecution, and Litigation," Practising Law Institute Webinar, June 2-4, 2020
Speaker, "Patent Fundamentals Bootcamp 2019: An Introduction to Patent Drafting, Prosecution, and Litigation," Practising Law Institute, June 13, 2019